Monday, October 17, 2005

Free telephone calls using your computer

I don’t know how many people ever used Dialpad back when it was free. All you had to do was to click on an ad every so often and you could call anyone in the US for as long as you wanted through your computer. One of the original VOIP services. Nowadays VOIP services tend to be pc to pc, which doesn’t really make any sense to me if you use IM services already. Anyway, I did notice a couple of services which still offer pc to telephone services for free. Voipbuster lets you call for one min to a lot of countries, and for unlimited minutes if you DEPOSIT 5 Euros (6 bucks?) in their account using paypal. If you call free countries (like US and UK, but oddly enough not Canada), you don’t lose your deposit. Supposedly you can only call land lines, but I have called my cell phone from voipbuster and the call was listed as “FREE” and went through. Go figure.

Adcalls, on the other hand, lets you call US and Canada for free, no other strings attached. More in line with the spirits of the free dialpad. Of course, the only reason anyone would have to use it is if their cell phone reception at home sucks (like mine), if they’re running out of minutes, or, of course, to call Canada. Too bad I no longer have any people in Canada I call, but it would be nice not to pay any long distance charges. Quality seems to be decent, and it DOES call cell phones. I had some problem with the volume of my voice being slightly low for the other party, but that may be headset issues on my end.

(Maybe if you’re in Kuwait with internet, either of those options would be viable to limit cell phone costs)

1 comment:

Amit said...

that’s interesting... I wonder if Adcalls does the same. Does the problem involve specific numbers like callin to the US, or is it a universal ban? If Adcalls gives problems too calling to the US or Canada from Dubai, then it may be an ISP thing. (which wouldn’t make much sense). In my opinion it’s probbaly a voipbuster issue, or a technical issue with the computer/firewall.