Thursday, October 27, 2005

F.E.A.R.



















Now normally I don’t have much to say about games, no matter how much I enjoy them. F.E.A.R. is one of the most hyped up games of the year, and despite not knowing much about the game (and refusing to play a stupid demo version–not that I had the time so far anyway), I finally got the game yesterday. It’s a pretty good first person shooter/adventure in the style of Half-Life with a very creepy feel to it–like a mixture of Max Payne’s dream sequences and the insanity of The Suffering. But that’s not what I feel the need to talk about. I got the biggest surprise of my gaming life during a particular firefight between my character and a squadron of 3-4 soldiers. I was pinned down behind some machinery and wanted to backtrack in this squarish area to approach the enemy from the rear and suddenly I hear enemy radio chatter: “Watch out! He’s trying to flank!” Needless to say, I stopped dead in my tracks with my jaw on the ground, thinking “What the @^%#?? They know?!?!?!” Quite possibly the coolest AI trick ever implemented in such a game.

2 comments:

Amit said...

I play it on my computer, but I would be very surprised if it wasn't on console yet. What do you guys have? X-box? I have yet to finish this game, but I LOVE the pulse rifle... one shot kill. turns your enemies into charred skeletons. And it snipes.

Amit said...

Actually I have a PS2 and an Xbox as well, though currently my Xbox (which I like better than the ps2) is gathering dust in Cherry Hill. I find it much easier to play first person shooters on a computer because I love the quick precision of high resolution optical mice.. makes turning around and aiming very, very easy. I just use my keyboard (left hand) for movement (a,w,s,d as the arrow keys to strafe left and right and move forward an backward) and generally use the mouse with my right hand to aim, shoot, open doors/use objects, and special moves. I have never had a problem using just the keyboard and a mouse. Of course, you can plug in a joystick (including an xbox or ps2 gamepad!) into your computer to save the life of your keyboard/mouse, but I have never bothered. I probably should just get a pc adaptor for my ps2 controller and use that to play computer games (one of these days). In case you're wondering, I am in the middle of Burnout Revenge and Midnight Club III DUB Edition right now on PS2. I plan on getting Resident Evil 4 for PS2 soon because I have heard very good things about it. I finished FEAR (what a creepy ending!) so I think it's time for either Quake 4 or Star Wars Battlefront II on PC.